Your search results

Obtain your NIE or Residencia

One of the first things you will need to do when buying a property in Spain will be  to apply in person for your NIE number at the local police station. The Notary will request to see this on day of completion.

Essential Properties can help you on getting your NIE or Residencia, ask our specialist to get this done.

Tax identification numbers (NIE NUMBERS) in Spain are legal requirements for anyone carrying out legal or economic activities in Spain, including those buying or renting Spanish property and buying a car in Spain.

Spanish tax numbers ensure that the Spanish Tax Agency can accurately calculate the fiscal responsibilities of everyone paying tax in Spain.

Foreign residents who are from the EU/EFTA, will need to apply for an NIE number following three months of residence in Spain. Foreign residents from outside the EU/EFTA will make their NIE application together with their Spanish residency application.

  1. Application can be made directly at the local police station.
  2. Through a Spanish embassy or consulate if you are living abroad.
  3. By using an authorized Spanish resident (lawyer, notary, friend or family member) who has been legally given power of attorney (PODER) to represent you.
  4. Timescale to receive your Spanish tax numbers can vary from 2 days to 2-3weeks dependent upon the area the application is made.

Once your tax number /document is ready, you will need to collect it (or have a representative collect it) from the office where the application was made.

Living in Spain on a long term basis or even permanently means that you will need to apply for permanent residence or to become a Spanish citizen.

Following 10 years of living in Spain you can apply for Spanish nationality. Both Spanish citizenship and permanent residency allow you to continue living in Spain.

The difference between Spanish permanent residency or Spanish citizenship?

An EU long-term permanent residence permit allows you to live as a resident in Spain and retain your own nationality and passport.

As a Spanish permanent resident enables you to receive similar benefits enjoyed by  Spanish citizens( subject to fulfilling criteria eg able to support yourself financially.)

By becoming a Spanish citizen you must  give up your original nationality and passport, (unless exempt.) You will become a citizen of the EU with freedom of movement plus be able to vote in European elections.

Having legally lived in Spain for five uninterrupted years, non-EU nationals can apply for an ‘EU long-term residence permit’. This allows you to stay in Spain indefinitely working or otherwise, under the same conditions as Spanish citizens.

You must prove that you have adequate financial resources to provide for you and your family (if applicable) – such as pension, grant/scholarship or a salary – plus provide proof of public or private health insurance with a company authorised to operate in Spain.

Additional paperwork may be requested including:

  • Passport
  • Proof of legal residence in Spain eg. a long-term rental contract, escritura/title deed of owned property
  • Criminal record certificate issued by the authorities in your home country
  • Medical certificate (certificado medico).
  • Proof that health assistance is guaranteed during your residence in Spain;
  • Marriage or divorce certificate (translated into Spanish if required).

Once issued with this permit, you can work and enjoy social services and benefits in Spain.

Essential Properties can assist you with your NIE or Residencia applications.

Contact Us

Compare Listings